JSW

Friday, April 29, 2005

Troyes

No, the name has nothing to do with the famous wooden horse. Rather, it's the city I'm visiting right now. Still in the Champagne region, it doesn't have any cellars or houses at all, but displays a beatiful old town not unlike Colmar in architecture, at least to the untrained eye. Facinating too that the city's name is pronounced pretty much like the number "three" in French. Who would've guessed?

Even though my days here in France aren't monotonous I've fallen into a certain habit, partly to adjust to French times and customs. I try to arrive at my chosen destination of the day before lunch to locate the hotel I've chosen based on Lonely Planet's information. Then I go out for lunch, alwas enjoyed in a restaurant, as do the French. There are alwas plats de jour or formule de jour, allowing me to taste different traditional and regional cuisine. The prices are also very reasonable at lunch time, much cheaper than the same meal in the evening. Normally the meals include a starter and dessert too. After lunch I normally go sightseeing and often I stay out until bedtime. Needless to say, I'm exhausted by the time I get back to the hotel. I've also fallen into the habit of purchasing (almost daily) a demi-bouteille from the Nicolas, the French chain for wine and other alcoholic drinks. I usually sample the wines of the region I'm about to visit and therefore I cannot wait to arrive at the Côte d'Or. But I'll make another stop first. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home