JSW

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Back in Alsace

I'm writing this on my penultimate day as a tourist in France, tomorrow I'll be heading for Kufstein again. The photo tally is rapidly approaching 400 and counting. And I suspect there will be several "unfortunates" among you that will have to see them all... Or some of them.

Sunday I travelled from Dijon to Besançon, a city best known for being Victor Hugo's hometown. As a matter of fact I stayed in a hotel on the same street. Unfortunately I was not inspired to write anything. Apart from that Besançon was very quiet, hopefully because it was Sunday. Monday morning I visited the fortified part of town, set on a hill above town, the citadelle. Suitably there was an expo on Nazi Germany and the French liberation. Less sobering the zoo with Gorillas and tigers.

If you've been counting, as have I, you'll see that I've visited 14 places over the last 22 days. And if I'd had a budget for this trip I've probably mananged to remain within it spending almost a euro for each year since Jesus was born...

As the title suggests I'm back in Alsace where I started my own tour de France, where I'm spending two days in the region's capital, Strasbourg. I did the ultimate tourist thing yesterday by going on a sightseeing tour by boat with commentary an English and all. But since Strasbourg is mainly based on an island or, if you will, surrounded by water (the Ill and the Rhine) it seemed a natural thing to do. We were also taken to see the European Parliament buildings as well as the building for Human Rights, based on the other bank. My French was complimented yesterday but I know very well that you don't speak a language well before people stop commenting on it. But it was nice anyway.

Today I climbed the 300 and something steps of the Cathedral to reach the platform with a spectacular view of the city. After that I attended my rendez-vous with brasserie Kronenbourg. As you'll be able to figure out, this trip isn't only about wine...

Which brings me to my next point, alcoholism. Quite a few people have asked me if I've become an alcoholic yet (some have even warned me not to become one). Is it actually possible at all to become an alcoholic in just three weeks? I don't know. I don't think there's been one single day without alcohol so far, but I haven't been drinking very much each time, not getting drunk like the Norwegians in Chablis.

I'd also like to apologize to everyone who's tried to phone me over the last weeks. I was stupid enough to terminate my mobile phone contract and change to pay-as-you-go, leaving me basically with 5-6 sms per day. Therefore, not only have I been unable to unswer an incoming call but I'm also now out of credit but, for the time being, still able to receive sms.

Finally, another little thing about the French, French men in this case. They have the remarkable ability for speak while smoking, that is leaving the mouth practically still while employing almost every other facial muscle to accomapny, possibly even enhance, the words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home